CASE STUDY 3 - Elimination of Back Pain after Crushing Incident 14 years Prior
Back to Case Studies Home
Recently I coached Shaun who has had excruciating back pain since he was 18. Shaun has currently been taking up to 4 strong tablets a day to cope with the pain, along with regular visits to the chiropractor so he can work
He was helping a mate ‘AB’ do some work on AB’s car. SE was expecting it to be a simple process using his dad’s forklift, but his dad was very disorganised and left the workshop and forklift unusable due to a job not being packed up. So they used timber logs and a jack to lift up the car. When the work was almost completed there was one piece left to do and he exerted lots of pressure to raise the car just a little more with his shoulder/body. During this exertion the timber logs became loose, knocking over the jack, and the car fell on him crushing his lower spine. The medical terminology given was that he received a crush fracture to the vertebrae in the lower back (T11, T12 and Lumber 1) a stable fracture of 20%.
1. How you explained EFT to the client and how you initially demonstrated it to them.
Emotional Freedom Techniques also known as Tapping is similar to massage/physiotherapy using the acupressure points. We have 14 meridians which are invisible, these meridians allow the energy to flow through our body. When we have too much pain it means that there is stuck energy and therefore too much energy in that location. By tapping on various points (demonstrating the locations shortcut version) we are able to clear the stuck energy and allow the energy to flow through the body releasing pain with physical, spiritual and psychological issues.
2. How you isolated issues to be worked.
Identified the history of Shaun’s back pain, what actually happened, what he told himself, How SE saw the changes and insights and then we changed what actually happened to a scenario he was happy with and what he now told himself about that incident.
3. If muscle testing was used. If PR was present and if so how it was neutralised.
Muscle testing was not used.
4. What set-up affirmations were used and how you decided what words to use.
- Even though I was angry with my dad for being so disorganised and messy not getting things done
- Even though I was so stubborn and determined to get the job done even while I was drinking and taking drugs
- Even though my back is in the process of being in total harmony and pain free I truly love and accept myself
- Even though I could have been a paraplegic I am truly appreciative of seeing my dad differently now
5. The reminder phrases that were used.
Release and let go of all the anger, fears, sadness, loneliness, guilt, helplessness, hopelessness, frustration, irritation
6. Which points were tapped - a full sequence or shortcuts.
The points used are karate chop, middle of eye, side of eye, under eye, chin, collar bone, tapping along wrist points and then while holding SE’s wrist asked SE to inhale and then exhale slowly while saying the word ‘Peace’
7. The methods used to address the issues and why these were chosen.
Firstly Faster EFT was used to eliminate the immediate pain
Secondly Visualisation -visualising the pain, what it felt like, tightness, burning sensation, colour, weight, where was it located, intensity, transparency, what it represented? As the pain had not completely gone then I decided to use this method.
Thirdly I went back to the initial accident and used the Movie Technique and Matrix Reimprinting to change the scenario.
To conclude the session I used Stacey Vornbrock’s methods of: letting go of the trauma, habit of pain, forgiveness, sabotage, harmonise the changes and to allow the body to integrate the changes
8. How far the issue was resolved, and how this was assessed.
The issue was completely resolved by using Matrix and ensuring SUDs levels were reduced to 0
9. If partial resolution of an issue occurred, what you did next.
Used Karate chop and new set-up statement
10. What was done if real world testing was not possible at that time.
SUDS testing was consistently used. We continued to return to creating movements to test if there was any pain or memory of the issue left
11. Whether there were any shifts of aspect or issue.
SE had a shift and could see the incident was caused by his stubbornness, anger, and inexperiance.
12. Whether there were any cognitive shifts.
SE had a cognitive shift and knew that by not waiting till the forklift and workshop were able to be used, his actions could have caused him to be a paraplegic and then blaming his father was inappropriate
13. Which questions were asked to reach deeper levels of issues.
- Do you feel any guilt?
- Who are you really angry with?
- How could you have done things differently?
- How do you see things now?
14. How affirmations were framed and reframed.
- Release and let go the pain while bending forward, leaning forward and straightening up
- Release and let go the sharp pain while twisting
- Release and let go this dull ache in the lower spine
15. Each case study should include a summary of the overall treatment.
The session ran for approximately 2 hours. When Shaun arrived he had considerable pain up to 8 on SUDs level. The pain was reduced to 0 numerous times while consistently moving the body to ascertain whether there was any pain in the back.
Treatment included Faster EFT, Visualisation, Movie technique together with Stacey Vornbrock’s method followed by Matrix Reimprinting.
16. Is there more work to do with that client? If they come to you again what would you like to address next?
Not on that particular incident.
Shaun's relationship with his partner